Society is mean to men with man boobs. However, you do not have to let Gynecomastia keep you feeling embarrassed about your looks or lower your self-esteem because you can restore your masculine appearance on your chest through gynecomastia surgery.
Advancements in plastic surgery technology allow for successful surgeries, quick recovery, and invisible scars after healing. Read on to learn more about gynecomastia surgery.
What is Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery, also known as male breast reduction, is a cosmetic procedure to correct oversized or overdeveloped breasts in men. Male breast reduction surgery is performed on teenage and adult men by a specialized gynecomastia plastic surgeon.
Male breast reduction surgery removes excess granular tissue and fat on the chest to restore a firm, flat, and masculine-looking chest. The surgery involves liposuction, gland incision, and gland excision to prevent a recurrence.
Enlarged breasts in men result from various issues, including genetics, hormonal imbalance, use of medications, steroid use, excessive alcohol use, or other unspecified reasons. Most men experience a certain level of Gynecomastia in their lifetime. The most common signs of Gynecomastia include oversized breasts that feel tender when touched and can be experienced at any age.
Enlarged breast tissue in men is a great source of shame and embarrassment because society appreciates men with flat chests and taut pectoral muscles more. With the help of a skilled and experienced cosmetic surgeon, the good news is that you can undergo a safe and successful male breast reduction surgery to restore your masculine chest.
Why Get Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery is the only effective treatment for Gynecomastia with long-lasting or permanent effects.
Mild Gynecomastia can be solved through non-surgical alternatives like wearing compression shirts, exercise, diet, and pills. At the same time, pubertal Gynecomastia in teenagers does not need treatment because it resolves once hormone levels are balanced. However, significant Gynecomastia can only be removed through surgery. You are eligible for gynecomastia surgery if:
- You are self-conscious and unhappy about the size of your breasts
- Your breasts are tender, causing you physical discomfort
- You have tried to reduce the size of your breasts through alternative methods like exercise and diet in vain
- You cannot participate in public activities that require you to remove your shirt
After a successful surgery, most men can walk shirtless on the beach and other public spaces, which boosts their self-esteem and improves their self-image.
Who Is An Ideal Candidate For Gynecomastia Surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery can be performed on teenage and adult men who are bothered by the feeling that their boobs are larger than average. However, there are criteria to determine if you are a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery.
You may be a good candidate for gynecomastia surgery if:
- You are suffering from Gynecomastia
- You have tried to get rid of Gynecomastia with other alternatives like exercise without results
- You are physically healthy and fit without life-threatening medical conditions
- You are a non-smoker and non-drug user
- You are of relatively normal weight
- You have realistic expectations from this surgery
What to Expect At the Gynecomastia Surgery Consultation
Consultation with a doctor is a must before any form of treatment. When you visit a gynecomastia plastic surgeon for consultation:
- The plastic surgeon will tell you everything about Gynecomastia. They will explain to you the treatment options available and achievable results.
- You will be asked about your expectations from your gynecomastia surgery. What you would like to achieve will help the team determine if your expectations are realistic and achievable.
- Expect a proper physical examination of your breasts to confirm Gynecomastia and rule out male breast cancer.
- Expect a thorough physical examination to determine if your state of health is fit for surgery.
- All your medical issues and health history, including genetic conditions, previous surgeries, medicines, or supplements you are taking, will be recorded in a file case.
A gynecomastia plastic surgeon will only book you for surgery if your expectations from the surgery can be safely met. Their focus lies on meeting your needs while keeping you safe.
How to Prepare For Gynecomastia Surgery
If your surgeon finds you fit for gynecomastia surgery after the first consultation, you may be asked to do the following in preparation for the surgery:
- Get medical evaluation
- Get a blood test
- Stop medications that increase the possibility of excessive bleeding
- Stop smoking
- Stop taking herbal supplements
- Adopt a diet that supports faster healing and recovery
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs because they can increase bleeding
The safety and success of gynecomastia surgery require complete honesty during your consultation. The surgery is a one-time treatment that lasts about 2 hours and requires you to stay in the clinic for about four hours after the surgery for observation.
Most surgeons perform gynecomastia surgery under general anesthesia, but it can also be performed under local anesthesia and oral sedation.
Precautions after surgery involve:
- Drains to prevent fluid collection
- Compression vests to avoid swelling
- Icing to control pain
Recovery After the Gynecomastia surgery
Gynecomastia surgery is very safe with minimal complications. After a successful surgery, you can return to work after 7-10 days. You must attend all post-surgery appointments and put in your compression vest until you are cleared.
The results after gynecomastia surgery are immediate, and it is considered a permanent solution to Gynecomastia unless you gain large amounts of weight.
Possible risks associated with the surgery include blood clots that dissolve on their own or may be removed by needle puncturing, infections treated with antibiotics, or scarring in case of infection.
How To Choose A Qualified Gynecomastia Plastic Surgeon
Gynecomastia surgery is straightforward, but the results depend on the surgeon who operates on you. Here are factors to consider when choosing a gynecomastia plastic surgeon:
- Skill and experience- ensure to select a surgeon with male breast reduction training and experience. Ask them how often they perform male breast reduction and seek to see before and after pics of their patients.
- Board Certification in Cosmetic Surgery- there are quack surgeons out there, and the last thing you want is botched plastic surgery. Therefore, ensure that the surgeon is ABCS board certified and that you are operated in an accredited surgery center.
- Open communication- you should be free and candid with your plastic surgeon concerning your expectations, concerns, and medical history. If you do not feel comfortable with the surgeon for whatever reason, he is not the right one for you.
If your self-image and confidence are affected by man boobs, gynecomastia surgery could be the only way to correct the condition. Consult with a qualified gynecomastia plastic surgeon who will help you get your masculine chest back.