Is gynecomastia surgery worth it? This is a question asked by many men trying to choose the best gynecomastia treatment. To get rid of man boobs, you can choose to undergo gynecomastia surgery or hide them using compression shirts from Esteem Apparel.
Gynecomastia surgery and compression shirts are both solutions to enlarged breasts. But the surgery is permanent and more costly, while compression shirts will give you a temporary contoured chest at a lower cost and without surgery. If you struggle to decide between the two options, this article is for you.
Is Gynecomastia Surgery Worth It?
Gynecomastia surgery is a cosmetic procedure aiming to reduce enlarged breasts in men. The surgery is worth it because it permanently eliminates all fats and tissue that cause enlarged breasts, restoring your self-esteem and confidence.
After the surgery, you can now walk shirtless by the pool and go back to wearing tight T-shirts because you are no longer concerned about your feminine-looking breasts and puffy nipples.
However, whether or not gynecomastia surgery is the right form of treatment for you depends on the cause of your enlarged breasts. Suppose the excess fat and tissue in your breasts are caused by weight gain, medications, hormonal imbalance, or steroid use. In that case, your doctor will advise you to try alternative gynecomastia treatment methods before gynecomastia surgery.
However, if the excessive fat and tissue are resistant to exercise, diet change, and hormonal imbalance treatment, gynecomastia surgery is the only viable solution.
Everything You Need To Know About Gynecomastia Surgery
Some men outgrow gynecomastia or put things in check by wearing compression shirts and leading normal lives, while others must undergo surgery. If you are scheduled for gynecomastia surgery, here is everything you need to know.
Like any other form of plastic surgery, gynecomastia surgery comes with a cost. Most insurance companies do not cover the surgery. Therefore, you should save towards the same or consider alternative payment options. Consult with different certified surgeons and compare their prices.
Gynecomastia surgery is an invasive surgery and pauses the risk of infections. You will experience significant pain days after surgery and must refrain from heavy lifting tasks for faster recovery. To reduce the risks and hasten your recovery process, adhere to your surgeon’s instructions and attend all appointments.
A successful gynecomastia surgery results in minimal scarring. However, the result varies with patients depending on the severity of their condition. Ensure to adhere to post-surgery care to reduce the chances of infections because they lead to excessive scarring. The surgery will not be satisfying if you get your man boobs out, but you cannot walk shirtless because of surgery scars.
Pros and Cons of Gynecomastia Surgery
Like any other cosmetic surgery, gynecomastia surgery has its advantages and disadvantages, including:
- Permanent results- one of the major benefits of gynecomastia surgery over other treatment alternatives is that it gives you permanent results. Liposuction removes fat cells from the breast area permanently. However, the remaining fat cells will enlarge and risk larger breasts again if you put on weight after surgery. Gynecomastia surgery results are permanent, but you should exercise and eat right to avoid gaining weight.
- Low-risk procedure- gynecomastia surgery is a safe outpatient procedure but only if performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon. The procedure takes around 2 hours, and you are allowed to go home after a few hours of observation. The recovery is also manageable if you follow your surgeon’s guidelines to the latter.
- Builds masculine chest look- gynecomastia surgery is the best way to give you a firm, flat, and well-contoured manly chest. You will no longer be ashamed of your chest and will confidently engage in activities requiring you to remove your shirt without your friends teasing you.
- Personalization- gynecomastia surgery is not a one size fits all procedure. The surgeon works to give you what you want, but in consideration of the extent of your condition, your age, fitness, and body type. This personalization ensures that you get what you want safely.
- Weight gain impacts results- the results after surgery must be maintained through exercise and proper diet. If you add a lot of weight after surgery, the remaining fat cells will expand and earn your man boobs back.
- Scarring- improper incisions and infections after surgery could lead to excessive scarring, which beats the purpose of the surgery. To prevent scarring, ensure to work with a board-certified surgeon.
- Recovery takes time- you need downtime to recover fully from gynecomastia surgery. You will be able to move for around three days. Still, full recovery can take about three weeks, during which you should refrain from physical exercise or any other tedious activity.
How Esteem Apparel May Be Better
Esteem Apparel offers compression shirts that men wear to hide enlarged breasts. Although gynecomastia surgery works for some men, it is not the best treatment method for enlarged breasts for others.
It is essential to consult with your doctor and weigh the pros and cons of surgery. If you will not benefit from surgery or put your health at risk, consider investing in compression shirts from Esteem Apparel.
Compression shirts are better for you if:
- You are suffering from a health condition that does not allow you to go for surgery
- If you are overweight or obese
- You are a smoker and use other drugs
- Above 50 years old and your surgeon deems you unfit for gynecomastia surgery
- You cannot afford to pay for the surgery
- You are determined to eliminate man boobs through lifestyle change and other alternative treatment options
Remember that compression shirts are not an alternative treatment but a quick fix to give you a masculine chest. The shirts will hide and compress your enlarged breasts and puffy nipples to provide you with a flat and contoured male chest, but it is not a permanent solution. You will have to wear the shirt daily as long as you are uncomfortable with your chest.
Gynecomastia surgery is worth it because it removes your man boobs within 2 hours and gives you your chest confidence back. However, you must schedule an appointment with a certified gynecomastia surgeon and look at its pros and cons to determine if it is the best treatment for your enlarged breasts.